To see sewage system records for a property please follow the directions HERE

For information on what to do with your sewage system in an emergency (flooding or power outage) click HERE

For information on financial assistance for sewage systems click HERE

Household Sewage Treatment Systems (HSTS)

We permit and inspect all new and replacement household sewage treatment systems in Medina County. If you are building a new home where public sewer is not available or live in an existing home where the sewage system is is not functioning properly, contact us at 330-723-9688, option 3 for information regarding a permit to install, alter or replace a HSTS.

Real Estate Inspections

Medina County does not require that your HSTS be inspected before your home is sold. However, an inspection is often required by the lending institution of the buyer. If you are a buying a home with a HSTS or a private water system, regardless of loan requirements, we highly recommend an evaluation of the systems before you purchase.

Please note: If the property is accessible to sanitary sewer, the house must be connected to the sanitary sewer and the HSTS (septic) must be properly abandoned under a permit with this office.

For more information about Real Estate Inspections or to schedule an appointment, contact us at 330-723-9688, option 3

Commercial Sewage Treatment Systems

If a sewage system is being installed for a business and generates less than 25,000 gallons of wastewater per day, a Site Evaluation Request Form must be completed and submitted with plan specs to the Ohio EPA for review and approval. Once the plan is approved, come into our office and obtain an installation permit. After the permit is received and installation begins, our staff will make scheduled visits to the construction site, assuring the system is being installed according to the EPA-approved plans. Our inspectors can also provide helpful suggestions and answers to any of your questions. Once installed, commercial sewage treatment systems require an annual operation permit and periodic inspection to assure it is being properly maintained and operated. If an existing business changes ownership or is converted to a different kind of business, a Site Evaluation Request Form will need to be completed and sent to the OEPA.

Sewage Related Complaints

Untreated sewage water found on the ground surface or in ditches is not only a pollution issue but a public health concern. We receive dozens of calls and reports annually from private citizens and others about suspected sewage nuisances. Please complete the complaint form.

Installers, Service Providers, and Septage Haulers

Contact our office to obtain current lists of registered contractors or to get information for the registration process and requirements for sewage system contractors.