Mercury is a naturally occurring element, found in the environment in three different forms: Elemental (Metallic Mercury), Organic and Inorganic. The human nervous system is very sensitive to all forms of mercury. Methylmercury and metallic mercury are more harmful than others because more mercury in these forms reaches the brain. Exposure to mercury can result in permanent brain or kidney damage, birth defects, changes in brain function, lung damage, nausea, diarrhea, skin rashes, eye irritation and several other harmful effects.
For more information about mercury, health hazards, spills and cleanup procedures, click on the Fact Sheets listed below. As with any chemical spill, you should immediately contact your local fire department or the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency Spill Hotline at (800) 282-9378 if you encounter mercury.
You may also contact: Office of Compliance Assistance and Pollution Prevention
Ohio Environmental Protection Agency
P.O. Box 1049
Columbus, Ohio 43216-1049
Phone (614) 644-3469
Fax (614) 644-2807
Toll Free (800) 329-7518